Yes, fans of classic Resident Evil puzzles who lament the fact that recent installments in the franchise have largely abandoned those brain teasers from the original games will love Lady Dimitrescu’s castle and its surprising collection of mysteries that often require you to put down your gun and use your head.
While few of the puzzles in Resident Evil Village are as devious as the franchise’s most complicated riddles, the puzzle in Lady Dimitrescu’s castle that requires you to find five bells is already giving some players a hard time.
About halfway through the castle area, you’ll enter a room with a large painting of Dimitrescu on the right wall and another, smaller painting in the middle depicting a warrior surrounded by five bells. A nearby piece of text suggests that you must find five bells in this room before you’ll be able to proceed.
Actually, you not only need to find the five bells scattered throughout this room (and slightly beyond) but will need to either shoot them or hit them with your knife in order to trigger the hidden exit. As four of the bells have to be shot, you’ll want to make sure to bring a little extra ammo into this area if you happen to be running a little low from previous encounters.
With that out of the way, here’s where you’ll find the five bells needed to solve this puzzle:
- The first bell is to the left of the painting in the middle of the room. You can hit this one with a knife, so be sure to do so and save yourself a bullet.
- There’s another bell on top of the bookshelf that faces the painting in the middle of the room. You might need to back up a bit to reach this one, but you should be able to hit it from the first floor.
- Behind the painting in the middle of the room, there’s a wall with a hole in it. Look closely, and you’ll see that a giant bell occasionally swings by the hole. You just need to time your shot right and hit that bell once it comes into view.
- Head upstairs and look at the chandelier hanging from the ceiling. You should see a bell at the top of the chandelier that you’ll just be able to shoot with your pistol.
- The final bell is by far the hardest to spot. If you head to the top of the stairwell, you should be able to look out of the glass window panes above the Lady Dimitrescu painting. Look close enough, and you should spot a giant bell outside of the middle window. You’ll need a couple of bullets to hit this one (one for the glass and one for the bell) so make sure you’re ready for it.
After shooting the final bell, a door should open up behind the Lady Dimitrescu painting. Walk through the door and proceed to the next major area of the castle.