Even as the traitor’s breath goes forth he perishes, but New Line confirmed that The Conjuring 3 will climb the walls of time, to paraphrase Aleister Crowley.
The third entry into the Conjuring franchise will be executive produced by James Wan, who first invoked the low-budget horror smash series in 2013, through Atomic Monster with Peter Safran. The Conjuring 3 will be written by David Leslie Johnson, who wrote The Conjuring 2, and directed by Michael Chaves, who directed the upcoming film The Curse of La Llorona.
New Line has also revealed that The Conjuring 3 will be getting a subtitle, a first for a main feature within The Conjuring series. Get ready for The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It.
The Conjuring 3 Release Date
During CinemaCon, Warner Bros. confirmed the official release date for The Conjuring 3. The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It will haunt theaters starting on September 11, 2020.
The Conjuring 3 Cast
While Wan previously said The Conjuring 3 wouldn’t follow the formula of previous Conjuring films, Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga will still both star as paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren. Ruairi O’Connor, Sarah Catherine Hook, and Julian Hilliard will also star.
The Conjuring 3 Plot
According to New Line’s marketing materials for The Conjuring 3 or The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It, the film will follow “a chilling story of terror, murder and unknown evil that shocked even experienced real-life paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren.”
This confirms what producers previously said about the upcoming film. In an interview with Bloody Disgusting, James Wan teased the logline for The Conjuring 3. It won’t follow the same formula as the first two Conjuring movies, which centered on investigations by Lorraine and Ed Warren, played by Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga. It will still be based on research from by the paranormal research team, but there won’t be any supernaturally harassed suburban families in the next one.
“It’s this guy who was on trial for committing a murder,” Wan told Bloody Disgusting. “I think it’s the first time in America’s history where the defendant used possessions as a reason, as an excuse.”
“There are some [cases] that maybe aren’t as well known, but they spent a fair bit of time researching and were part of [them],” Producer Peter Safran told Jimmy O of JoBlo. “Clearly, we can’t do another haunted house movie, right? We can’t do another supernatural possession in a house, with a family in peril. Right? So, it’s got to be something different than that, I think. There are a lot of places to go, and there’s a fair bit of material there.”
Wan is likely referring to the 1981 trial of Arne Cheyenne Johnson, also colloquially known as “The Devil Made Me Do It” case.