Maze Runner Star Says Third Movie Back on Track

Following a year’s delay, Maze Runner: The Death Cure is finally filming.

It was March 2016 when actor Dylan O’Brien, star of the dystopian young adult series collectively known as The Maze Runner, was seriously injured on the set of the third film, The Death Cure. At first filming was set to resume that May, until the studio and producers were informed that O’Brien’s injuries were more serious than previously thought.

At that point production was shut down indefinitely and the original February 2017 release date was scrapped. But work on the picture finally resumed this past March — a full year after O’Brien was hurt — and co-star Kaya Scodelario told us a bit about how it was going:

“We’re just filming the third one and it’s a really great send-off for the characters. They’re really trying to reunite these characters that people have been following for (two) movies, and before that in the books. The fan base for Maze Runner is so important and it’s something that we’re so proud of and we’re so appreciative of. It’s really great having the gang back together again, we’re all family, they’re all extremely close and we’ve got right back into the swing of things.”

Scodelario’s answer sounded a little rehearsed in the room, but that’s okay: the extent of O’Brien’s injuries has never been fully revealed (some reports said that he was run over by a car during a stunt gone wrong and nearly killed) and there may be a veil of privacy around the situation that the cast and crew want to honor. The important thing is that the actor has gotten through it and is still with us. As for Maze Runner: The Death Cure, the trilogy’s finale is underway and will be released on February 9, 2018.

Check back tomorrow for our full interview with Scodelario about Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales.

Ad – content continues below